Your pet has had major surgery and will need to be well cared-for afterwards to help prevent complications. Following the instructions below will help ensure your pet has a successful recovery.
- No running, jumping, playing, swimming or other strenuous activity for 7 to 10 days. Keep your pet quiet. Pets must be kept indoors where they can stay clean, dry and warm. No baths during the recovery period. Dogs must be walked on a leash and cats kept indoors.
- Check the incision site twice daily. There should be no drainage. Redness and swelling should be minimal. Do not allow your pet to lick or chew at the incision. If this occurs, an Elizabethan collar (cone/e-collar) MUST be worn to prevent it.
- Do not change your pet’s diet at this time and do not give junk food, table scraps, milk or any other people food during the recovery period. This could mask post-surgical complications. Appetite should return gradually within 24 hours of surgery. Lethargy lasting for more than 24 hours after surgery, diarrhea, or vomiting are not normal and your pet should be taken to your regular veterinarian. Animals may have a slight cough for a few days after surgery.
- Your pet received a green tattoo next to their incision. This tattoo is a scoring process in the skin; IT IS NOT AN EXTRA INCISION.
- Northland Spay/Neuter will see post-surgical rechecks. You may be referred to your regular veterinarian for further treatment or to address illnesses or injuries that are not a direct result of surgery.
- Please call 218-623-6342 for an appointment as soon as you see cause for concern. We cannot be held responsible for complications resulting from failure to follow post-op instructions, or for contagious diseases for which the animal was not previously properly vaccinated.
- If you have an emergency after hours please call the Emergency Veterinary Services at 218-302-8000.
Hours of Operation
2002 West Superior Street
Duluth, MN 55806
In case of an after hours emergency, contact